Sunday, January 31, 2010

weekend obsession

So my friend Kristen introduced me to the world of de-potting MAC eye shadows videos on you tube.  It didn't take very long for me to get to a MAC store to grab a pallete at a pro store downtown. 

I watched several videos and finally came up with a combination of a few to make my own process.

First I set myself up in front of the TV and laid out some paper towel, flat iron, mac eye shadow pots, 15 shadow MAC pallet, waxed paper, and a bead craft set.

From this kit I used the small bead rimmer on the left and the pink and orange plyers in the middle.

First I used the bead rimmer to pop out the inner pot/pan out of the main pot by jamming it into the corner until it popped out.

I set my flat iron to the lowest setting, probably takes a bit longer but I was too scared to burn anything.  I torn up some square pieces of waxed paper and placed them on the flat iron.  Then I put the inner pot on top of that.  It only took about 1-2 mins to get the bottom of the pot soft enough to poke out with the bobby pin.

I let the heated ones to cool and followed this process 14 times more, adding small round magnets from a local craft store under the pan.

Once I had melted the plastic inner pot from the pan, I did the same for all of the empty large pots to peel the lables off with small plyers and applied the label to the bottom of the magnet. 

At first, I tried the method of just cutting the inner pot and using alcohal to deperate the glue at the bottom.  I found that it really ruined the plastic of the pots and using the flat iron for heat was just easier.  Some also used a candle but that just didn't work for me either.

In this pattern 1 4 7 10 13
                      2 5 8 11 14
                      3 6 9 12 15
1 - Orb
2 - Naked Lunch
3 - I pressed a pigment into a pan, saved for another blog post :)
4 - Sleepy
5 - Da Bling
6 - Full Flame
7 - Paradisco
8 - Sushi Flower
9 - Cream de Violet
10 - Juxt
11 - Hipnotique
12 - Aquadisiac
13 - from Faces (Do they even exist anymore???)
14 - Embark
15 - Plumage

Surprisngly, I had more than 15 eye shadows, and had enough plasitc to get 2 free eye shadows. It got so addicting that I ended up buying another 15 eye shadow pallet AND a 6 blush pallete.



These aren't full yet so more pics to come!

C

No comments:

Post a Comment